Friday 3 August 2012

You Need Commitment Not Compliance


Someone asked me today what was the biggest challenge when managing my team. I resorted to an old adage I adopted quite some time ago.

“You need commitment not compliance"

I developed this approach quite some years ago when dealing with a quite brilliant but often stubborn office manager. We would often discuss the issues of the day, I'd put my point of view she would put hers, an argument would invariably follow at some point she would usually end the argument by saying;

“Okay, we'll do it your way".
"But do you now believe my way is the best?" I'd ask. 
"I said we'll do it your way" would be the reply.
“But do you believe?" I'd ask.
"No, but you're the boss we'll do it your way" would be the reply.
"Then, probably better if we do it your way" would be my answer. Because, I need you to be committed to this project not simply doing it my way because I said so.

Far better to have someone carrying out a task that they believe in than simply simply going through the process because you've told them to. So unless “their" way truly compromises the effectiveness of the project, better to have them being truly committed and simply complying.

Of course, sometimes if you're taking responsibility for the delivery of a project, you have to do “dig your heels in" and insist but you'd be surprised how often a little "flexibility" can ensure that the results or project gets delivered first time and on time.

Of course the right tools help and if you're looking for online project management  or online document sharing  then http://www.collabor8online.co.uk/  would certainly be a good place to start!  you can create  projects in folders, assign tasks, share files and even see progress in the project calendar!

No comments:

Post a Comment